BRIEF BACKGROUND OF PANGANI GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL
The year was 1932, in pre-independent Kenya. At the time it was named the Duchess of Gloucester School, named after the late Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. At the time, the school had a purely Asian population, a community that lives, to this day, around the Ngara, Pangani area in Nairobi. The school offered what was then the Cambridge and Higher Cambridge School Certificate; today’s equivalent of ‘O’ and ‘A’ level education. After Independence in 1963, the school was renamed; Pangani Girls High School and enrolment of African students steadily began. It was initially a girl’s day school, but was converted to a boarding school in 1986. At the time it was then considered a provincial school.
The new post independent government adapted a regional model based off of a racial model the colonial government had. The former whites only, Indians only and Africans only schools were now converted into National, Provincial and District level schools respectively. Since 1990, Pangani Girls has steadily risen as a top performing High school under the stewardship of Ruth Cheriuyot, who has since retired. The schools consistent high performance over the years paid off. Pangani Girls School was certified as a National School in 2011 to offer more Kenyan girls a higher quality of secondary education.